Monday, January 9, 2012

New kitty/winter break/new semester starting/new job!

Hi again guys :) It's been FOREVER but here I am for a quick update!!!

I finished my first class/first semester of nursing school with a 4.0!!!!!! WOOHOO!!!! I worked really hard for that grade and am very proud of it! Now that I'm done with Fundamentals, which was a 15 week class, every class from now on in the program is only 7 1/2 weeks long. Sounds like a blast!!! Each class will only have 2 exams and a final, not leaving much breathing room to make mistakes. I can do this!!!

I start Surgical nursing next week Wednesday, January 18th. I will have lecture on Wednesdays from 3pm-815pm then clinicals (at a hospital this time!!!) on Thursdays & Fridays from 3pm-1040pm. Surgical nursing ends on March 2nd and I will have about two weeks off until Maternal/Child Nursing starts on March 17th! For Maternal/Child I know I will have lecture on Wednesdays from 9am-245pm but I won't find out what days I will have clinical on for awhile still, unfortunately. My monstrous Med/Surg book was about $140 and is HUUUUUUUUGE!!! AHHH!! Very intimidating, but I'm trying to remember that we will cover this entire book throughout the duration of four separate classes, not just one class ;) I got all other three books I need for this semester used, so that saved me a ton of money.

I have been so, so entirely lazy this entire break. I had so many big plans in my mind that I was going to do and accomplish during these four weeks but haven't done many of them..... The only major plan I have "kept my word on" is catching up on sleep! I did catch up on quite a bit of cleaning today, which was one of my original goals, so I guess that's good at least :)

In other news, we got a new kitten last week and she is the most adorable little girl! She is white with calico markings on her tail and head with a little bit of color on her body and paws. She is fitting right in with our other two cats and dog already. I am really excited!

Here is a photo of her in her brother's favorite sleeping spot:


Lastly, as you may know I left my previous job of five years to get a new job (including a small pay cut) in order to reduce my stress levels, plus I needed something more flexible with my nursing school schedule. Well, that job was going well until I found out they were closing the store a few weeks ago! ARG! Their last day open was December 30th, a day I worked 19 hours straight on to help them move and tear down the store. It was insane. That is the longest amount of time I have ever worked straight. I did have one 30 minute break, but that was it. Anyway, so the store closed down and I can thankfully say that I have already found another job. I start tomorrow and am very happy! I'll be doing reception/front desk type of work at an animal day care/boarding/grooming/training facility in the area. It's a bit higher pay than my last job and it's similar to the job I was at for five years. Plus, the clientele consists of DOGS and I am a huge dog/animal lover! I start there tomorrow and can't wait! Starting a new job is always stressful, but I think I'm going to fit right in. I had a "working interview" there last week where I "worked" for three hours to get a feel for what the job will be like and to meet some of my new coworkers. It went really well! Plus, my old manager from a job I had back in 2004 works there as well. She is one of my favorite people in the world and am very excited to be working with her again!

I think that is it for now. I will try to update after classes start next week and after I start my new job and training. :)

Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like everything is going wonderfully for you! I can't believe I hadn't been following your blog all this time - for some reason I thought I was and that you never updated :O

    Congrats on the 4.0! It's exciting to see you so excited about school. I'm glad you were able to find another job and so quickly. Desk jobs are nice, even more so with animals :D

    I put in my notice at your old job ;) I deleted my FB (you may know!) but send me an email when you have a free moment - crystal.shaulis at live dot com.

    ReplyDelete